introduction of an essay
If you are at an office or shared network, you can ask the network administrator to run a scan across the network looking for misconfigured or infected devices.
Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store.
Here is an example of the introduction to the question – Discuss how media can influence children. Use specific examples to support your view.
An in troduction generally does three things. The first part is usually a general comment that shows the reader why the topic is important, gets their interest, and leads them into the topic. It isn’t actually part of your argument. The next part of the introduction is the thesis statement. This is your response to the question; your final answer. It is probably the most important part of the introduction. Finally, the introduction tells the reader what they can expect in the essay body. This is where you briefly outline your arguments .
There are 19 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page.
This article has been viewed 4,131,694 times.
The function of the Introduction is to serve as a ‘map’ of the essay, outlining to your reader the main argument and points which you develop in your essay. Most introductions begin with an orientation in the form of a brief general statement that leads the reader into the topic showing how the specific topic relates to bigger issues or to the discipline field. This is followed by your thesis statement , which is your concise response to the essay question, then an outline of the argument presented in the essay. You may find it useful to think of an essay’s introduction as funnel shaped moving from the general to the specific. Here is an example:
Example of an essay introduction 1
- Thinking about the question.
- Gathering information and ideas.
- Organising your ideas.
- Getting something on paper.
- Writing a first draft.
- Reviewing in light of feedback or reflection.
- Producing a final draft.
They follow a particular structure: you will set out your argument in the introduction, build and present your argument in the main body, and should end with your overall key message or argument in the conclusion.
Having trouble getting started with an assignment?
The introduction and conclusion should both be approximately 10% of the overall essay word count. For example, if you write a 1500 word essay, your introduction and conclusion will be around 150 words each.
1. Write the thesis statement. The main idea of the essay is stated in a single sentence called the thesis statement. You must limit your entire essay to the topic you have introduced in your thesis statement.
2. Provide some background information about your topic. You can use interesting facts, quotations, or definitions of important terms you will use later in the essay.
How do I write one?
- The 2020 Rankings
- The Issues Americans care about most and how companies stack up
- News & Insights on corporate justness
- Polling results that drive our rankings
JUST Capital is the leading platform for measuring and improving corporate performance in the stakeholder economy.